Well, after all the warmth of these winter months, the sun, the tropical breeze… Ok, let’s cut it. I have been more or less hibernating for the past few weeks and got a lot of time to do some cooking and baking (having the oven working by my side has been such a relief). So one of those warm nights we decided to put on some Mexican flair and did these cheesy delicious Chicken Quesadillas with a little, little dash of cayenne to turn that freezing cold red of our cheeks to an “oh, dear, is this spicy” kinda red. Hope you had some of those days too!
Yummy! Cheeeeeeeese, anyone?
The Cajun seasoning I used was really easy to put together and the herbs were just the right match. I’ll try it soon with other meats and I believe it’s going to do great with fish as well.
Cajun Seasoned Chicken Quesadillas
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, in rings
2 cups mexican blend cheese (or any kind you like)
8 tbsp butter
For the Cajun seasoning:
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 red pepper flakes
1 1/4 tsp dried oregano
1 1/4 tsp dried thyme
1. In a small bowl mix all the spices to make the Cajun Seasoning. Spread the mix all over the chicken breast and let it rest for half an hour.
2. In the meantime, sautée the onion rings in a frying pan with 1 tbsp of olive oil, set aside.
3. Cook the chicken breast for 4 to 5 minutes on each side with 1 tbsp of olive oil, until golden brown. Cut the cooked breast into cubes and set aside.
4. Build the quesadillas by laying the cheese on one half of the tortilla, the chicken and the onions. Top with more cheese and close the quesadilla by fliping the other side of the tortilla, it will be half a moon. Do the same with the rest of tortillas, chicken, cheese and onions.
5. On a large skillet, heat 1/2 a tablespoon of butter. Place 2 quesadillas; when golden brown, flip them very carefully and place 1/2 tablespoon more of butter. Repeat with the rest of quesadillas.
6. Cut the quesadillas into wedges and serve with freshly made guacamole and sour cream.